Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Christine Says Hello, and Brushtail Possum

Christine with a short and sweet video:


And another. There's a tiny bit of speaking at the beginning, and you can just shut your eyes and listen for a while to the sound we go to sleep with every night, if you are so inclined:


And last night I woke up at 12:30 a.m. and decided it was time for a good nighttime walk. I headed north, took a left down a street of no particular significance, and ran into the body of water known as Narrabeen Lakes. Nice.
Then I saw it: a brushtail possum. (Also called brush-tailed.) Fast as a cat. I used my uncanny photography skills to capture forever an image of the rascal:

Hmmm. Something must have been wrong with the camera. I tried again:

I was actually kicked by a passing kangaroo right when that shot was taken. Swear to god. One more time:

Now that's a bit better, but as you can probably tell I cropped it, and it's not very sharp. But look at those ears! It looks like Piglet.

Okay, now I'm going to get it:

Oh well, close enough for folk music.

That's two Australian possum species so far, loads to go.

3 comments:

  1. Love that ocean sound...One of the things I look forward to most about going to the annual T'ai-Chi retreat that my teacher Andy Dale puts on every Summer at Bandon. Have you guys done a full moon beach walk yet? Nothing like it.

    Love the possum pix Thom. Moving targets are not easy to catch. Keep sending whatever you can get. Very cool creature! Don't piss him off though, those claws look serious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you much Gene, it's really nice having you come over and comment. And yes, we've had one full moon walk - during the eclipse. Too good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine's voice!!! Awww... thanks for sharing you with us! xoxoxo ~ Fretwells

    ReplyDelete